5 Savvy Investment Tips for Healthcare Freelance Writers
If you’re a healthcare freelance writer, every financial advisor will tell you how important it is to save your money.
While that’s true, counting every penny is exhausting. (And kind of a weird thing to do on a Friday night.)
Sometimes, you just need to let loose.
But before you blow your wad of your hard-earned cash on a round of mojitos, here are some other places where you could spend it:
1. Education. Maybe now isn’t the best time to take a class in underwater basket weaving, but it’s OK to shell out a few bucks to take a class/webinar/seminar in something related to your field. If you just launched your website, why not take a class that focuses in SEO? And good news: You don’t have to spend big bucks to take a class at your local university. You could sign up for an online course at popular sites, such as: Udemy, Lynda or Coursera.
2. Networking events. Don’t spend all your time cold calling hospitals and pitching healthcare editors you’ve never met. Odds are — your chances of landing your next project will increase if you actually meet people IRL. Check out Eventbrite for some networking clubs or events in your area. Don’t be afraid to splurge $10 for a night of meeting someone who could change your career trajectory.
3. Cooking classes. If GrubHub is your homepage, change it! Those $7 lunch “specials” add up fast. Now is the perfect time to brush up on your culinary skills. Lots of grocery stores, such as Whole Foods, offer affordable classes to newbie cooks.
4. Gym membership. You can’t stare at your computer all day, waiting for someone to get back to you back/hoping inspiration will strike/watching The Steve Harvey Show. Going to a gym on a regular basis will help improve your mood and increase your endorphins. If you're worried about gym fees, check out the YMCA or your local park department. Those rates tend to be less expensive than your average gym chain.
5. A new pair of jeans. Really. It’s time to get out your sweatpants. You’re going to a networking event tonight, right?
On a budget? Check out "7 Ways Healthcare Freelancers Can Earn Extra Money."